Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Porch-to-be

This week the ladies took a bye for a variety of reasons, one of which was that my mistress had a sore throat. It was just as well since with rain predicted, the atmosphere was quite close. So instead of nattering about where the WWTs went and what they said, today I’ll talk about matters closer to home.

For the last couple of months, Mary and Lewis’ (and my) house has been quite chaotic due to construction. Imagine this: they have decided to go retro with a screened-in front porch. But this is not your grandmother’s screen porch. It is high up from the ground and has a pitched roof that makes our little house look--as the architect puts it in a soaring superlative--“heroic.” Another of architect John Grable’s favorite ways of describing the addition is “transformative.” (Do they offer courses in architect speak?).

The porch is constructed with huge cedar beams and features a cement floor and bronze screen wire. I love to sit on it and watch my doggy friends pass by on the street. Since the front door and front steps haven’t been completed, I can jump down to the ground—a risky endeavor that I’ve only tried twice. ( The last thing a princess needs is a broken leg.)

As soon as it’s finished Mary intends to have the Wednesday Walkie Talkies and their spouses over for a covered dish dinner. My question is, will she invite J.D. and Cooper and Maddie and Bella and Max? I'd love to show off my porch to those WWT doggies.

1 comment:

  1. Trixie, the porch is going to be awesome and I can't wait for the grand opening!!!
    Ann of the WWT

    ReplyDelete