Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New harness, Hondo Creek

Today when the Wednesday Walkie Talkies did their thing I felt like the grandest tiger in the jungle. That’s because my mistress, Mary, got me a new harness.

She lost the old one over the weekend while we were at Mary and Lewis’ country place near Tarpley, Texas. I love to go there and bark at the longhorn cattle and chase jackrabbits. But I’m wary of foxes, feral hogs, coyotes and large owls.

So when Mary and Lewis walked down to see Hondo Creek--which is completely dry due to the prolonged drought--given that is was dusk, I was afraid. As is so often the case, the thing I worried about—scary night predators—did not materialize. Instead, I they lost my harness somewhere along the way.

After we got home, Mary took me to the neighborhood pet store to get a replacement. Thank goodness she spied a snazzier version, which is much more comfortable. Since red is my best color, she bought one to match my fancy red collar with silver conchos. I know they say “What price beauty,” but in this case comfort and beauty converged.

Today I sported my new halter as the WWTs walked from Olmos Park to Monte Vista, a historic neighborhood dating back to the late 19th century. We paused to take a photo of two of the WWTs in front of the house where Mary and Lewis’ older son, William, and his wife, Mariana, used to live. I remember when their daughter, Christina, was little, she used to hector me no end at that house (which is now for sale). Now it’s Christina’s younger brother, Maxwell, who’s bothering me at their new, larger home in Monte Vista.

There are a number of interesting people who live in Monte Vista, ranging from a former mayor of San Antonio to the star of “Criminal Minds." (I sit next to Mary every week when she watches that show on TV). We passed both their houses before turning back to our point of origin in Olmos Park. In all, it was a good outing. And the best news of all: it started raining right afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment