Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Niagara Falls, Captivity

Last Wednesday, right after the Wednesday Walkie Talkies walk, Mary dropped me off at the vet’s so she and Lewis could attend his 50th high school reunion in upstate New York. WITHOUT ME. So while my mistress and master went to Niagara Falls and celebrated with his classmates, I was cooped up in a cage at Dr. Kothman’s. (At least Mary thought to bring my bed and favorite blanket with pictures of princesses on it.)

During five days of confinement, I mulled over several matters. One was an article that Mary read in the New York Times just before she left, about the reason for domestication of dogs. According to some scientists, it was not for companionship, protection, work or warmth. In fact, it was for food. At least, I thought, when my master and mistress come back for me, I won’t be on the dinner menu.

Another thing I pondered while in captivity was something Mary’s former co-worker, Anita, wrote in an email after reading my last blog entry. She had the temerity to suggest that I hid the old harness because I “really just wanted some new ‘bling.’” Needless to say, I take umbrage at this baseless accusation. (Even if it wasn’t a half bad idea.)

Now on to today’s WWT adventure. There were four ladies today, including a new member, the mistress of Bumper-- the friendly dog I memorialized a couple of weeks ago. Susan is a bit younger than the other ladies and walks briskly with what looks like ski poles. We didn’t stop as much this time (which I didn’t like) and I attribute it to their keeping pace with Susan. Since she and another WWT, Ann, are in training for a walkathon I fear this is going to be the drill from now on.

The only thing of note on the walk through Olmos Park and Monte Vista today was when we came upon a fledgling golden-fronted woodpecker in the middle of the street. My mistress, Mary, picked it up and put it on a bush, where it started squawking. Thanks goodness she didn’t decide to rescue it as I really value my beauty sleep, me being a princess and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment