Thursday, September 24, 2009

San Pedro Springs Park Birthday Bash

Yesterday the Wednesday Walkie Talkies tossed a surprise birthday party for my mistress. But I’ll get to that later.

First, they walked to the second oldest park in the country. San Pedro Park was once lush and green, due to springs. The day we went, they were dry. But near them was an intriguing fern-covered grotto built in the late 19th century. WWT member Merribell, who directed the Columbus, Ohio Art Museum, explained to everyone that grottos used to be popular outdoor features, adding a romantic touch.

While the ladies paused to take in the grotto I sniffed around a bit. Since the grass was wet due to yesterday’s downpour, I didn’t really care that Mary didn’t release me from my leash. Princess that I am, I really don’t like traipsing in mud, even if it is the first time we’ve had anything but cracked earth in I-don’t-know-when.

Did I remember to say that it was chilly? That was another novelty today, given that the temperature’s been in the three digits for the last couple of months.

After a walk in the park the ladies headed back to Monte Vista, where Mary had arranged for them to take tea at the home of her daughter-in-law. It turned out there was a surprise when they got there. Ann and Carol, two WWTs known for their quirky decorator sense, had collaborated on a greeter in the dining room: a piñata in the shape of a buzzard with a crown that spelled out Happy Birthday. Mary was overcome.

The tea party turned more festive yet when Carol brought out a bottle of Two-Buck Chuck wine and Ann shared a Sister Schubert breakfast cake. The ladies cut loose and had a fine time hearing stories about Turkey from WWT Mary Lil, who had just returned from there.

Everything was perfect but for one little detail: I hate to sound whiny but where was MY treat?

No comments:

Post a Comment