Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Checking out the Chickens

Today only three of the WWTs walked. One of them offered to take J.D., since his mistress couldn’t come. Now J.D. had a personal trainer when he was a puppy, so he knows what humans like. He stays on the left side of the street and never stops to sniff things. Although he's my friend, I was jealous when Carol—who walked him—asked, “Doesn’t he have good manners?” right in front of me. (I thought the implied comparison was REALLY rude, but let it pass.)

All three ladies had mid-morning plans so we stayed in Olmos Park. Other than noticing that even the native trees are looking stressed from the brutal heat and drought, there's nothing else worth mentioning.

Thank goodness it’s gotten a little cooler and hopefully, we’re past what is on record as the hottest, driest summer ever in San Antonio. (My mistress was really worried about my not jumping up to take walks lately. When she reported it to the vet he cited the heat, pointing out, “Trixie’s Momma didn’t raise a dumb dog.”) So true.

While this week’s walk wasn’t exciting, a trip over the weekend was. That’s when I went to Austin to see my master and mistress’ younger son, Maverick. I’d heard his parents talking about the chicken coop Maverick was having built. It’s on wheels with a detachable “run” for the birds to exercise. As the coop is moved about the yard, the chickens fertilize it.

Mary, my mistress, immediately identified the aroma produced by the chickens as “barnyard.” Since I’d never been around that particular scent, I was fascinated and sniffed all around, above and below the coop. It seemed to spook the chickens (there are three) but after a while they ventured out of the coop.

They are half Americauna, a South American breed, and half Rhode Island Red. August is the month chickens molt, so their tails are pretty sketchy, but they are a nice reddish brown color (kind of like me). According to an FFA booklet Maverick has read, they will lay green eggs. They haven't produced yet. (Chickens don't lay when molting). But I'll keep you posted when they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment