Friday, February 11, 2011

Separating the Bitches in Bed

Well the ladies wimped out again this week, due to a windy, twenty-degree day. So instead of walking I hung around the house with Chica--who wants to play 24/7.

As bureaucratic government writer might put it, Chica has no “terminal facilities” when it comes to play, and the only way I can get her to stop ragging me is to bite her ear. Of course then she howls and tries to get me in trouble with my mistress. But fortunately, Mary seems to get it and instead of fussing at me, simply carries the puppy off.

Speaking of my mistress, she is over the moon about having met Ariana Huffington at a World Affairs Council awards ceremony where Huffington spoke. Having been burned by not having a camera with her when she met Salmon Rushdie at a Texas Book Festival Gala in Austin several years ago, Mary always carries a camera in her purse. And thanks to Lewis, she got her photo taken Wednesday night with the woman who just sold her eponymous publication for mucho millions.

Among Huffington’s observations were that one should never sleep near their electronic devices, as research shows that merely looking at an email or text message will disrupt sleep patterns. Well there’s something else that does the same thing: a Chihuahua puppy.

At bedtime Mary has to act as mediator since Chica wants to play with me under the covers. The trick is to hold the puppy down on the other side of the bed until she settles down and sleeps. All I have to say is I’m glad Mary didn’t adopt both puppies that were offered her. Else wise I’d get neither a wink of sleep nor a moment of repose.

No comments:

Post a Comment