Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lighting the Fire

Well I’ve missed walking with the Wednesday group two weeks running. Last week my mistress forgot to take me. Can you imagine? Then today she wimped out and didn’t go due to the cold. As it turned out, all but one stalwart skipped.

Fortunately, I’ve had plenty of good walks in at our country place. Weekend before last, I walked down Williams Creek with my mistress’ grandchildren. Last weekend I walked up Williams Creek with my big doggie buddies, Chigurh and Townes.

The next day, we made our way through a field where the grass was so high I had to jump along like an impala to see where I was going. (Being small can be a drag in situations like that, but mostly it’s an advantage given that humans always make over me as if I were a puppy.)

The high point for me was the après walk time, when I got to watch my mistress’ son, Maverick, light the first fire in our brand new fireplace. It didn’t get hot enough for me to lie in front of it, but we found later that that was because the damper (who knew they were adjustable?) was set so that much of the heat went up the chimney.

I’m really looking forward to lying in front of it next time, when it puts out more heat. After walking, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment