Friday, July 9, 2010

No More Stargazing

I was in tall cotton at the Annual Terrell Hills Fourth of July parade. Dressed in my patriotic red-white-and-blue dress, I strutted down Eldon Road with my master, mistress and hordes of neighbors, their children and their dressed-up dogs, all decked out in red, white and blue.

Partway down the route I posed for a photo with former San Antonio Mayor Howard Peak, his wife and doggie. At the end of the route, the camera caught me being held by Terrell Hills Mayor Brad Camp while Councilman Charles Parish looked on. It seems celebrities like to have their photos taken with me. Well after all, I am pretty famous.

I was quite pleased with myself costume-wise, until I spied a dog who totally outdid me. One of Mary's friends, Becky DeWees, had dressed up her dog like Uncle Sam, complete with a tophat. (How was she able to make the hat stay on? Mine never do.) But I don't feel too bad about that. After all, they don't even live in Terrell Hills; they live next door in Alamo Heights.

After the parade, we drove up to our ranch near Tarpley to check on some renovation work. Thanks to more rain, the creek is still up big time. I loved walking alongside it while Mary took photos of blooming wildflowers. So far she has a couple of dozen different ones, which she intends to make into a book with her granddaughter.

Maverick was there with his dog, Chigurh, and Chigurh’s friend, Townes. None of us dogs like to venture out of the house after it gets dark, even though those dogs are waaaaay bigger than me.

Mary learned why over dinner at downtown Tarpley’s go-to café, Mac ‘n’ Ernie’s. She was telling a friend who lives a little way up the creek from us that we had seen a bobcat down the highway from our house. The friend replied that she had seen a mountain lion. From now on I expect all of of will be staying indoors at night, even though the stargazing is spectacular up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment