Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dispensing Doggie Advice

As my fame grows, I’m getting mail from as far away as Namibia. I’m sharing this letter from Dr. Diane Ashton--a professor at the University of Namibia whom my masters and mistress met traveling in Ethiopia--with my response, accompanied by her photos.

DEAR TRIXIE, (or should I now address you as the Duchess?)

I am writing to you especially to tell you some very good news. You are so adorable in all of your photos with Mary, and I realized small dogs can be great. I have never had a small dog before (only labs and goldens) but now, because of you, I am getting a small dog. Unfortunately, there are no chihuahuas in Southern Africa, so I am getting the next best breed!

My friend has a gorgeous long-haired dachshund who just had a litter of puppies - 3 females and 3 males! I get the pick of the females. They are now almost 2 weeks old. Trixie dear, do you have any advice about how to select the perfect puppy from the 3 females? I want her to be as special as you are! Trixie, what are your favorite foods?

The only bad news is that I won't be traveling anywhere for at least 6 months because I don't want to leave the puppy alone. When she is more grown up, then I can go back to having more adventures. I am very, very busy at the university, so it looks like I will be staying here in Namibia for another 2-3 years. It seems that I will have to wait until I am Medicare eligible before I can move back to the USA!

Diane

DEAR DIANE, (Given that I’m now a duchess, you can address me as "Your Grace.")

I'm delighted to hear you are adopting a dog. You are so right to have selected a small one. Because of my size I’m allowed to sit in my mistress' lap and sleep in her bed. And small children really relate to me.

As to choosing from the litter: I suggest you go for personality rather than looks. (Too bad men don't select their mates that way). Since you’re getting a female you can’t lose looks-wise. My favorite foods are people foods like cooked chicken, beef--even pasta. I also like cheese, but my mistress doesn't let me have much of that because she thinks it's too rich. Instead she serves me boring but healthy "Lean Dog Formula" dry food from Whole Foods Market.

You are so right to refrain from traveling in favor of staying with your puppy. I wish my master and mistress would do that. They are already talking about another long trip, this one to South America. Which means I'll have to stay in that plagued cage at the vet's again.

Trixie

P.S. Thanks for acknowledging that the dachshund is a lesser breed in comparison to mine. In fact, they all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment