Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Letters in the (e)Mail

In an earlier posting, I answered a letter from reader in Namibia, who had questions about a female puppy she was about to adopt. The doggie’s name was to be Bianca. Well there’s been a bit of a change as you will see from the following message, just received:

DEAR TRIXIE,

Well, I have not slept much for the past week, but the good news is that she is very confident, eats like a little piggy and has adjusted well. And of course, I think she is brilliant. Have decided to amend her name a bit, she is truly a diva (was the dominant female in her litter) and so now, rather than Bianca Lulu, her name is Diva Bianca!

Love, Diane

DEAR DIANE,

What I have to say to you can be summed up in two words: Viva Diva!

Love to you both, Trixie

Meanwhile I’ve received another letter from my public, this one on a more weighty matter. It was sent by Ann McMullan, a member of the Wednesday Walkie Talkies. Since I walk with Ann almost every week I’m aware of her concern with the drop out problem and of her involvement in an organization that is addressing the problem. I’m flattered that she would pose the question to me, despite the fact that I’ve never been to doggie school. (Of course I do have beaucoup street smarts.)

DEAR TRIXIE,

“Why in the world would a teenager drop out of high school? Isn’t that remembered as a carefree and happy time of life?”

Your walking buddy, Ann

DEAR ANN,

I’m guessing that in your day, high school was more a time of carefree fun. It’s a different story today with peer pressure on everything from drugs to gangs and with any number of other issues ranging from poverty to poor parenting to teen-age pregnancy.

Fortunately, the very organization you are involved with, Communities in Schools, is helping meet the challenge of keeping young people in school by connecting schools with needed community resources. And I know a way folks can help right now. They can Stuff the Bus with school supplies for at-risk students on August 6 at San Antonio HEB stores from 7 a.m.-7 p.m.

Your friend, Trixie

1 comment:

  1. Trixie, who decided that owls were the wisest of the animal kingdom?

    Thank you for sharing your Chihuaua smarts and for encouring your readers to help Stuff the Bus!!!

    ReplyDelete