Saturday, May 1, 2010

Walking, Talking and now Cooking

Things have quieted down quite a bit at my household, and that’s not all bad. No longer does Mary rouse me at the crack of dawn, wrap me in my royal robe and schlep me over to a TV or radio station. Instead, I can laze around all day and still have a fine outing when she and my master take their walk.

On Wednesday four WWTs walked a part of Alamo Heights they hadn't done before. They moved briskly except for a stop at the Episcopal Diocesan Center on Torcido Dr. to see the springs at the headwaters of the San Antonio River. Because of recent rains they were flowing rapidly, so I had to be careful not to sink into the marsh.

Two days earlier, Mary had a covered dish supper for the Wednesday Walkie Talkies and their husbands. The pretext was for everyone to see our new screened porch. Of course, they all made over me, since I’m the de facto mascot for the WWTs.

The food was outstanding and every now and again someone would slip me a little something. I really liked the chicken spaghetti casserole that Mary Ann Franzke brought. Since I like all kinds of pasta, I also liked my mistress’s artichoke heart pesto pasta dish. But the hit of the evening was the homemade fresh peach ice cream bought by Ann McMullan. Since no one figured I’d like that, no one offered me any. A pity.

Luckily, the most peripatetic WWT was able to make the party, just back from a traditional Japanese wedding near Kyoto. Marta Siv’s husband, Sichan, described the Shinto ceremony in detail. He is the author of a book, “Golden Bones,” about his life in Cambodia before and during the Killing Fields era, as well as his life after his escape. After he came to the United States, he got a job picking apples and within a few years had ascended to a U.S. ambassadorship to the United Nations. Even a princess like me has to be in awe of someone like that.

Whenever they are in town, Martha walks with the ladies, who love hearing of her trips to places ranging from Paris to Phnom Penh. Conversation never lags when she’s with the group. But then it never does with this group. The last word in their name says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment