Thursday, May 13, 2010

Not Getting no Respect

This week nearly all the WWTs had a conflict and my mistress was sick, so there was no walk. Which leaves me space to get something off my chest.

Being a small dog, I never feel I get the proper respect, even now that I’m bona fide aristocracy. People simper over me, using baby talk mostly. Really, it’s so demeaning.

Now comes a magazine article with the headline, “In the Canine World, Sometimes Less is More.” It goes on to explain that Chihuahuas are descended from long-haired dogs called Techichi in ancient Mexico. Royally prized by the Aztecs and Toltecs, they were carried in sleeves of their ceremonial robes.

At some point these aristocratic long-haired dogs mixed with hairless dogs from Asia that had crossed the Bering Strait and, as the article pointed out, “eventually ended up in Paris Hilton’s purse.”

Now I won’t argue whether it’s a step up or down to go from the sleeves of ancient Mexican royalty to the purse of an American pop celebrity. What I will say is that I don’t think Chihuahuas generally get the respect they deserve because, let’s face it, we are really cute. And cute doesn’t gain respect like say, the jaws of a pit bull.

Well, as Mary’s friend’s shrink is fond of saying, “It is what it is.” So I guess maybe I’d better just enjoy being clucked over and forget about R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment