Friday, May 21, 2010

Poison Ivy: Not my Thing

On Wednesday, four WWTs met next to the campus of the University of the Incarnate Word to visit a new nature preserve. Dr. Bonnie McCormick, chairman of the University’s biology department, and Helen Ballew, director of the Headwaters Sanctuary, led us on a tour of the 53 acre site set aside by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

Riparian was not in my vocabulary until a couple of weeks ago, when Mary went to a riparian conference in Tarpley, along with other landowners along Hondo and other nearby creeks. I sat in during part of the presentation and learned that riparian refers to a zone near a creek (people underestimate what dogs can learn—a pity).

Undeveloped but not pristine, the riparian Headwaters Sanctuary along Olmos Creek--which feeds into the San Antonio River--is plagued with non-native plants and trash delivered via flood waters. Yet, a pair of Mexican Eagles nests in the secluded space and small mammals like foxes are seen there, along with a lengthy list of bird and native plant species.

Speaking of native plants, a noxious one lurks along the brushy trails: poison ivy. When I inadvertently walked through some, Mary started carrying me. Both of us had to take baths when we got home, just to be safe.

After the balance of the land is restored, I’d like to go back to this evocative place. Hopefully they’ll consider poison ivy removal, even if it is a native. Until then I’d prefer not have to endure another scrubbing like the one I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment