Friday, February 5, 2010

Leash Law: a Necessity in our Neighborhood

It was raining on Wednesday so the WWT ladies neither walked nor talked. I lazed on the bed all day, rising only when I heard Mary open the refrigerator. I can always make her feel guilty when she’s sneaking a treat. To salve her conscience she usually shares, and as often as not it's Vermont sharp cheese and melba toast--which I love.

Yesterday I had a scare: my mistress took me to the vet. I'm always afraid she is going to leave me there in one of those horrid little cages, which she does when she and Lewis go out of town. All it was this time was two inoculations, which I didn't even feel. And when it was over, Dr. Kothmann posed for a picture with me.

Today the skies finally cleared so I badgered my mistress into taking me out for a walk. The minute we stepped outside, a big collarless dog approached us. My mistress picked me up, but it kept circling. Neither Mary nor I wanted a repeat of the time last year when we were both bitten by a big stray dog in front of the house.

We slipped onto the porch and she set me down. But a moment later the dog pushed the heavy ten-foot door open and entered. Mary grabbed me and in a smooth maneuver, slipped out and pushed the door to. She then called the police, who, noting that the offending animal looked to be part pit bull, ushered it off the porch and into their car.

This time Mary has had enough. After the first incident, she discussed the issue with the mayor, a councilwoman and the police chief of Terrell Hills. All assured her the city was considering a leash law. The neighboring suburban cities of Alamo Heights and Olmos Park have one. Why not Terrell Hills? To that end my mistress is writing a petition and plans to get plenty of signatures to take to the next council meeting. Here’s hoping they get one so I can feel safe leaving the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment