Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Spooky Woods of Olmos Park

Today's WWT adventure didn't start well: my mistress almost forgot to take me. I started barking as soon as I heard her pulling out of the driveway and fortunately, she came back for me. What she never forgets, thank goodness, is her can of pepper spray.

That is because a few months ago a big stray dog (well to ME almost every dog is big) attacked me in front of our house. As Mary tried to wrestle it off, it bit her and then went back to me. Fortunately my master, Lewis, heard me shrieking, rushed out and kicked the dog off. The vet said I was lucky the dog hadn't punctured my lungs, but for about a week I just lay in the back of the closet with my head to the wall. It freaked my owners out but I just couldn't deal with anyone or anything until I got my head together. Since then Mary seems more wary of unleashed dogs than I am. I've moved on and am always ready for an outing.

Am I talking too much about me? My former owner, who rescued me from the streets in Austin, just emailed my mistress that any Trixie-centric blog I wrote "would have to rely heavily on two words: 'I' and 'Me.'" He went on to say he thinks of me as "the Little Queen of everything," just because I wanted more attention than his dogs. It's a REALLY tacky thing for him to say but since he's Mary's son's boss I won't say so to his face. He SO needs to get over those Jack Russells. They are the ones with a royalty complex.

But back to this morning: once my mistress came back for me, we headed over for a walk through a wooded area on the periphery of her friends' neighborhood. Not much of anyone from that fancy little suburb goes in there, including the WWTs. But one member, Carol, led the way in. She and Mary had explored it awhile back--before I was invited into the group--and discovered a mysterious old rock ruin. If you use your imagination you can picture Indiana Jones in this jungle, since there are so many greenbrier and Virginia creeper vines all over the place.

We made our way through the spooky woods for more than a half hour, the high point for me being the sight--really the scent--of a skeletal paw with claws. The ladies discussed whether it was of a possum, raccoon or ring tailed cat but couldn't decide. Neither could I.

Finally we emerged onto the streets and walked around Olmos Park, a small incorporated city inside of San Antonio where most of the Wednesday Walkie Talkies live. Soon we encountered something as interesting to me as the paw. (There I go again with "Me.") Someone had dressed up two stone statues of pug dogs as if they were going to school. And I don't mean obedience school. They had backpacks and lunch boxes and canteens. Carol said the homeowner has an old pug that sometimes comes out and sits in front of the house in between the statues.

Well kids, that's all for today. After a baby-sitting stint with Mary's grandkids at their house--a command performance for me--I plan to sit around home like a princess. Oops, should I have said queen?

4 comments:

  1. The pug, named Bumper, went on to doggie heaven a week or so ago. All the neighborhood pups miss seeing him in the front yard.
    Trix, do you really call your dog mom Mary? not Mom, Big Mama, or some other term to denote a female dog?
    Come by and see my sometime.
    --JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Bumper...it won't be the same walking by! ARM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saying you are sorry about Bumper - he did enjoy watching everyone walk by (between his naps!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trixie, and her Big Mama (?), are SUCH good writers! We the members of the WWT thank them profusely for bringing us to the light of the walking and talking world.
    Cheers, Martha

    ReplyDelete