Thursday, August 13, 2009

River Road Outing with the WWTs


My name's Trixie and FINALLY I've been invited to join the Wednesday Walkie Talkies. Who are they and why would I care? Let me explain. For the past several months, Mary has been sneaking out on Wednesday mornings to walk with some lady friends in their neighborhood. Then they branched out one day and walked along the new northern stretch of San Antonio's River Walk. What was SO unfair was that my friend J.D got to go on that one.
By then the ladies had selected a name for themselves, which now that I've walked with them I see is perfect, because they certainly do talk as much as they walk. Maybe more. A couple of weeks ago Mary started bringing me. And once the WWTs saw how adorable I am they wanted to be with me as much as with Mary. Which brings me to this Wednesday.
We met at the miniature train's station in Brackenridge Park at 8:00 a.m. (It's too hot here to walk much past 9:30) and meandered through the park along the river to explore the River Road neighborhood. This part of the river hasn't been "beautified" so it has wilder vegetation and better scents for a dog along its banks. Oh--did I forget to tell you I'm a dog? A part chihuahua part God-knows-what with a fox face? Anyway I checked out smells of leftover picnics and possums and such while the ladies chatted.
When we got to a low water crossing I had to walk along the edge so as not to get my feet wet. Now my friend J.D.--short for "Just Dog"--would probably have just jumped right in the river, since he's part lab. But his mistress, Pat, couldn't come this week. Me, the only water I like is in my drinking bowl. Which reminds me, Mistress Mary sometimes forgets to give me water when we're walking until I hit her on the calf with my cold, wet nose.
The River Road neighborhood is a small enclave bounded by the river, a golf course, Brackenridge Park and an expressway. It's quirky and fun with lots of shady trees and little cottages. We ended up stopping at one, because Mary knew the owner--who invited us in. The ladies were fascinated to hear how it was built in the mid 1700s with rammed earth mixed with goat's milk. While the Walkie Talkies talked I searched for the resident cat with no success.

Afterwards we walked back to our cars past the Sunken Gardens, which we went through twice last week. There are really too many ups and down in that place for a dog with short legs, but the ladies love the shallow pools populated with koi. And the flowers. Fortunately they had had enough walking already so we didn't go into it this time.

Well that's my story for now. I'll fill you in next week's adventure with the WWT's now that I'm a bona fido member.

No comments:

Post a Comment