Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dressing fit not to be Killed

My mistress always said she would never be one of “those” folks. By that she meant those icky people who dress up their dogs. But then came the hawk. In the last week, she and my master have seen a brown, striped-tailed raptor three times, hanging around the birdbaths in the front and back yards. My guess is it was waiting for an easy meal coming for a drink.

Birder friends have suggested it could be a Cooper’s or sharp-shinned hawk. More likely though, it’s a red-shouldered hawk, which are known to nest in the large estate behind our house. Whatever is is, it has a fierce visage and scary looking talons.

So the next thing you knew Mary went on the internet to see how Chica and I can safely go outdoors. She found someone who said clothing will fool hawks into not recognizing a tasty Chihuahua tidbit. (Sadly the person forgot one day to dress her dog and the hawk took it.) So now, in the three-digit degree heat, Chica and I are sporting sundresses.

It’s kind of embarrassing, I admit. But on the off chance that the hawk has a hankering for Mexican food I’m glad we are dressed fit not to be killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment