Thursday, September 2, 2010

Miracle on the Hondo

A couple of months ago I wrote about my mistress losing her prize Alain Mikli eyeglasses on Hondo Creek. It happened when I fell into a sinkhole and in trying to save me, Mary’s classy shades went into the drink.

Well, a miracle occurred this weekend at our country place, where the water level has now dropped: Mary’s son, William, probed with his foot and found the glasses resting on the bottom of the offending sinkhole. They were crusted over but Dr. Maury Diskin at Today's Eyes, the store where she bought them, was able to clean them up with of all things, rubbing alcohol.

Here’s another happy story. It’s about a beagle named Trooper, owned by a former mayor of San Antonio and his wife--Howard and Margie Peak. “I got Howard a beagle for our first Valentine’s together in 1970,” Margie recalls. “She lived to be 18.” Hooked on the breed, the Peaks adopted another beagle, who lived to be 14. Three days after she died, Margie took all her doggie toys to the Humane Society as a donation.

“While I was there,” Margie recalls, “a man brought a precious eight-month- old beagle. He was moving to an apartment that didn’t take pets. I called Howard and he raced over to the Humane Society to see him…He raced to Howard. Needless to say the rest is history.”

At first, Trooper was a “real rascal,” Margie recalls, “but he has turned out to be such a lovable, sweet little boy. We just celebrated his eighth birthday and he is a wonderful addition to our family.” I met Trooper at the Terrell Hills Fourth of July parade this summer as he stood on the sidelines. I, on the other hand, was front and center in the parade, princess that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment